How to get your money back from expired OV-chipkaart
Do you have an expired OV-chipkaart on which you still had credit? Of course you would like to get your credit back! Or do you wonder whether you still had money on it – who does even remember? Also in that case, you can check online and get your credit refunded. Do not give up even if it’s not much money, it’s very simple!
Let’s be honest, that happens rather often: we have that OV-chipkaart for a while now, and when we realize it’s expired we do not even know how much credit we had left on it. It is very simple to check how much credit you still own, and request a refund.
I guess that if you are here you well know what an OV-chipkaart is, but in case you want some simple information about anonymous and personal OV-chikaart and what is most suitable for you, then head to this other post!
Is my OV-chipkaart expired?
You can easily check if your OV-chipkaart is expired: there is a datum on it indicating the expiration date. After that date, you will not be able to make use of public transportation by means of it.
Expired OV-chipkaart (anonymous) for less than one year
- Check how much credit is left. You can do that via this link.
- Was you residual credit less than 50 euro? Then you can ask for your money back online via this link.
In this case you do not need the physical card to ask for the refund. The card number and expiration date will be enough.
- Otherwise, if the credit left was more than 50 euro, you need to follow a different procedure
Expired OV-chipkaart (personal) for less than one year
The personal OV-chipkaart has the advantage that can be managed accessing your personal area (MijnOVchip). There you can also see your residual credit (and your last expenses). If you do not have an account, I suggest you to create one.
You can choose to:
- Renew your OV-chipkaart Since 6 weeks before expiration, you can ask to get a new one. Log in in your personal area and make sure to have a digital picture.
The remaining money will be automatically transferred to the new card.
You will receive the new card within 6 days.
(I did automatically get a new card without realizing that my own was expiring/expired with my own credit on it, but may you use public transport on a regular basis, then it’s probably good to take care of it in advance).
- Ask for your money back if you do not longer need an OV-chipkaart, then you can ask for the refund of the money that was left on it. Do it via your personal area (MijnOVchip).
The money will be visible on your bank account within 15 days.
Expired for longer than a year (anonymous and personal)
In case your OV-chipkaart is expired for longer than a year, you can still claim your money back!
Both for the anonymous and personal cards, you will have to follow the same procedure
- print out the form (download the pdfs below)
- for the personal OV-chipkaart
- for the anonymous OV-chipkaart
- fill the form in send the document (printed and filled in) together with the card at the address below
OV-chipkaart Customer Services
3800 AJ Amersfoort
And you are set! Pretty smooth and simple procedure that can save you some money.
Important note: you can ask for your money back also if your card is not expired yet!
I hope you are happy about this tip and share it with your friends or on social media. This would help me enormously!